Palanpur: Eighteen people were killed and five others injured after a blast at a firecracker factory in Banaskantha, Gujarat, on Tuesday. The explosives were illegally stored at the unit located in an industrial area near Deesa Town.

The explosion occurred at approximately 9:45 AM and flattened the godown. "All the deceased persons were originally from Haliya village in Harta district of Madhya Pradesh," said district collector Mihir Patel.

The blast was so intense that it sent body parts of workers flying 200-300 metres away. The impact brought down the RCC slab of the structure. Even family members of workers staying on the same premises were crushed to death after blocks of slabs fell on them, he said.

firecracker-factory-blast
Parts of the firecracker factory building collapsed. Photo: PTI

Minister Rushikesh Patel told reporters that seven fire teams, eight ambulances, a State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) team and four bulldozers were rushed to the site for rescue operations. 

ADVERTISEMENT

"As many as 18 persons died in the incident and five others were injured after the slab of the godown collapsed following a blast," said Superintendent of Police Akshayraj Makwana. He said forensic teams are trying to ascertain the cause of the explosion.

Makwana said the building- Deepak Traders- was owned by a father-son duo, Deepak Mohnani and Khubchand Mohnani. "Prima facie, they were stocking firecrackers illegally. Police have registered an FIR and formed five teams for investigation. A special investigation team (SIT) headed by a Dy SP-level officer has also been formed," he said, adding that some persons have been rounded up for questioning.

Deesa Sub Divisional Magistrate (SDM) Neha Panchal said the godown had initially obtained a licence for storing firecrackers but it was not renewed after it expired on December 31, 2024, due to lapses. "They had applied for renewal of the license after it expired. After authorities found that the unit lacked proper facilities, the renewal process was put on hold," Panchal said. 

Panchal stressed that the licence was only meant to store firecrackers. "However, it seems they were prima facie illegally manufacturing firecrackers. Strong action will be taken for operating without permission," she said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed grief and announced an ex gratia of ₹2 lakh to the next of kin of the deceased. "Deeply saddened by the loss of lives in the explosion at a firecracker factory in Banaskantha, Gujarat. Condolences to those who lost their loved ones. May the injured recover soon. The local administration is assisting those affected. An ex-gratia of ₹2 lakh from PMNRF would be given to the next of kin of each deceased. The injured would be given Rs 50,000," the PMO posted on X.

Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel also expressed grief and declared financial assistance of Rs 4 lakh to the families of the deceased and Rs 50,000 to the injured persons. "The incident of the death of workers due to fire and slab collapse in a firecracker godown in Deesa is heartbreaking. My heartfelt condolences are with the relatives of the deceased in this hour of grief," Patel said on X. 

Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Mohan Yadav said the untimely death of workers hailing from his state in the incident was saddening.

Meanwhile, opposition parties targeted the ruling BJP government, accusing it of negligence. Congress MLA Jignesh Mevani demanded that the government provide ₹1 crore as ex gratia to the families of the deceased and conduct a thorough investigation. 

ADVERTISEMENT

"The government is responsible for this tragedy. So far, 18 people have died. Gujarat's BJP government does not seem to care about people's well-being unless it impacts their election results," Mevani said. He asked the government to release the correct toll of people killed in the incident.

AAP's Gujarat president, Isudan Gadhvi, criticised the administration for failing to monitor illegal firecracker factories. "How can illegal factories operate without the administration's knowledge? Strictest action should be taken against those responsible, including BJP leaders and officials. If the government has the will, it should demolish the property of those guilty," he said.

The comments posted here/below/in the given space are not on behalf of Onmanorama. The person posting the comment will be in sole ownership of its responsibility. According to the central government's IT rules, obscene or offensive statement made against a person, religion, community or nation is a punishable offense, and legal action would be taken against people who indulge in such activities.